Sep 15, 2011

What is in a word...

I'm the type of person that puts a lot of thought into choosing the right words to use and likewise I'm also the type of person that notices different relationships between different words. The word I noticed today was homosexuality.

What I noticed was the ending -ality I realized that its the same ending used in words like reality, personality, actuality. Now I know that this is probably a huge coincidence but I looked into it anyway.

The suffix -ality doesn't really mean much so I settled for the definition of -ity which is a suffix used to form abstract nouns expressing a state or condition. Pair that with homosexual which obviously means gay.... the state or condition of being gay. The words state or condition would or COULD imply that its a set condition.

So why is it such a hard word for people to swallow? Reality, insanity, personality... All these words though some negative are accepted, gold even so why is homosexuality questioned? Makes you wonder huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment